These slow-cooked cloves of garlic lend a more muted flavor to a dish than raw or even quickly sautéed garlic. And the garlic-scented oil is equally valuable.
- 2 cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs
- 8 heads garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 3 bay leaves, bruised
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a medium baking dish, combine the olive oil, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. The garlic should be completely covered by about 1" of oil.
- Bake until the garlic cloves are soft fragrant, and lightl ed but still hold their shape, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months, completely covered with olive oil to prevent air from reaching them.